Friday, February 1, 2019
By AVA TURNQUEST
Tribune Chief Reporter
A REPORT on a police investigation into a series of fires that crippled infrastructure at Bahamas Power and Light’s Clifton Pier Power Plant has been completed and submitted to the government.
However, officials remain tightlipped over its findings.
BPL chairman Donovan Moxey told The Tribune yesterday the report had been turned over to Works Minister Desmond Bannister.
“(Police) have given us a report, which we have given to minister,” Mr Moxey said. “We can’t release it or say anything until the minister gives us his feedback, that’s all I can say at this time.”
Mr Bannister was tightlipped about the matter when contacted this week, telling The Tribune he could not confirm or deny whether he had received the report, or whether it had yet been presented to Cabinet.
Fire Chief Walter Evans also confirmed police investigations into the three fires have been completed, but would not provide any further details when pressed for further comment yesterday on when the report had been submitted.
The first fire broke out at the plant around 10.30pm Friday, September 7, and the second blaze erupted Sunday, September 9, shortly before 10pm.
Two more fires occurred over the course of the following week, one at the Clifton site, and the other at its Blue Hills location.
The first blaze wrought unprecedented damage to the Clifton Pier station, forcing a weeklong load shedding exercise in the capital, and an urgent appeal to the public for energy conservation to assist the electricity provider in meeting energy demands.
Prime Minister Dr Hubert Minnis announced last August that he would initiate an investigation into BPL after its previous board was dissolved due to infighting, and the numerous allegations that have emerged since then.
However, it is unclear whether a committee has been appointed to take up the charge.