Friday, December 27, 2024
By RASHAD ROLLE
Tribune News Editor
rrolle@tribunemedia.net
OUTGOING Commissioner of Police Clayton Fernander said the chief investigator in a controversial voice notes probe submitted findings to the Office of the Director of Public Prosecutions last week and is awaiting the DPP’s review and recommendation.
Commissioner Fernander, who promised to report to the public on the matter before the end of the year, said authorities are still on track to meet this timeline.
The investigation surrounds voice notes that purported to capture a quid-pro-quo arrangement involving a senior police officer, a lawyer and two murdered men, Michael Fox Jr and Dino Smith.
The conversation on the voice notes centred around a $1.5m airport bank car heist in November 2023. Fox Jr and Smith were suspects in that matter but were never charged. Two other men, Oral Roberts, 34, and Akeil Holmes, 26, were charged in connection with the robbery. Roberts was killed in the Fox Hill area last month.
Michael Johnson, the head of the Central Investigations Department, took garden leave as authorities investigated.
Commissioner Fernander has said the Security and Intelligence Branch of the police force is investigating the matter. He said the Police Complaints Inspectorate, a little-known body that has traditionally lacked the resources to perform its duties, would supervise the SIB’s investigation. He later revealed that the United Kingdom National Crime Agency and the FBI would help with the investigation.
Michael Fox Sr, the father of Fox Jr, told The Tribune over the summer that his son gave him the voice notes and told him to release the recordings if he died. He said he was not behind the release of the tapes. Sandra Smith, the mother of Dion Smith, said her son also informed her about the voice notes and their significance, but she never got them.
The matter has gripped the public’s attention partly because of other events that have occurred involving people connected to the voice notes. Days after Sylvens Metayer, a man living in the US who considers himself a whistleblower, seemingly released the voice notes, he was shot during a Facebook Live and survived the incident.
Roberts, meanwhile, was killed a week after meeting officers probing the matter, according to his mother.
Commissioner Fernander provided no further details but said investigators “had completed a number of lines of inquiries” and are happy with their investigation.
Comments
ExposedU2C says...
No independent investigative report into this matter will ever be undertaken and allowed to see the light of day by this most corrupt PLP government led by Davis. Stumpy Davis is hoping most of the D- educated among us will be content with Sweet Lips Fernander being made the "fall guy" with his lucrative pension, health and other benefits all fully intact for him to enjoy in his retirement years at great expense to us taxpayers.
Posted 27 December 2024, 12:50 p.m. Suggest removal
TalRussell says...
According to US, Canada and UK Travel Advisories -- Freeport is experiencing a surge in crimes, including robberies, sexual assaults', murders and attempted murders. -- An Out Island of which the incoming COP should be most familiar with. -- Yes?
Posted 27 December 2024, 2:15 p.m. Suggest removal
Porcupine says...
Have the voice notes been made public?
Posted 27 December 2024, 3:01 p.m. Suggest removal
birdiestrachan says...
Curtis is a grown man and so is Johnson . It is to bad that commissioner Fernander has to resign because of them. No Govement official so far has been named for receiving 2 million dollars. The question is why perhaps they do not exist. CURTIS WAS just talking
Posted 27 December 2024, 4:45 p.m. Suggest removal
trueBahamian says...
👀 Really? Do we believe the US federal agents don't know their jobs? Come on birdie! Come on! Further Indictments are coming. Some of your people you so loyally support may be looking at jail time.
Posted 28 December 2024, 12:06 a.m. Suggest removal
truetruebahamian says...
Birdie is the definition of a paltroon.
Posted 28 December 2024, 11:38 a.m. Suggest removal
trueBahamian says...
So, we get a report dictated directly or indirectly by the outgoing Commissioner that the DPP is supposed to act on. These people can't be serious. And the DPP won't do anything with the crumbs they got.as they can't offend the current administration. Games! Games! Games!
Posted 28 December 2024, 12:09 a.m. Suggest removal
Log in to comment