MP ‘speechless’ after mass shooting that left 2 dead, 5 hurt

By JADE RUSSELL

Tribune Staff Reporter

jrussell@tribunemedia.net

 


ENGLERSTON MP Glenys Hanna Martin said the mass daylight shooting in the Ridgeland Park area left her speechless, emphasising the need for community involvement to stop the bloodshed among the country’s youth.

Mrs Hanna Martin, who represents the constituency, said she did not know the motive behind the shooting, but regardless of the reason, it resulted in two young men losing their lives tragically. She noted that one of the victims had just graduated from high school in June.

She added that her ministry is making significant efforts in public schools by launching programmes focusing on counselling, literacy, numeracy, and other initiatives to build children’s confidence. However, she believes community involvement is the strongest way to impact young people.

“It’s not so much about ratting or whatever word you want to use, you know, it’s about ensuring we don’t see this kind of bloodshed and this tragedy that we saw on this street or on any street in this country,” Mrs Hanna Martin told reporters during a walkabout in the Englerston community.

Police reported that shortly after 2pm on Saturday, officers responded to gunshot reports on Robertha Drive, Ridgeland Park. Upon arrival, officers found an unresponsive male with apparent gunshot injuries seated in a vehicle parked at a residence.

A second unresponsive male with gunshot wounds was found lying in the street just north of the residence. Emergency Medical Services examined both men, aged 18 and 20, and found no vital signs of life. Prior to police arrival, five other individuals aged 16 to 22, who had sustained gunshot injuries, were taken to hospital by private vehicles.

Mrs Hanna Martin said the Ridgeland community had experienced violence in the past but had been quite peaceful recently. Some residents told her they could not sleep after the incident.

During the walkabout, she saw one of the young men caught in the crossfire. “He said he’s fine, but looking at him I don’t think so. No person can go through that and just move on to the next best thing.”

The minister said counselling would be provided in the community.

Bahamas Christian Council president Bishop Delton Fernander also joined the walkabout to speak with residents. He noted the church is exploring ways to reach the new generation, including teams of peers the same age as the young men involved in violence. He suggested that messages of peace may be more effective when delivered by someone from the same age group.

Comments

bahamianson says...

Say speechless… that’s funny.

Posted 12 August 2025, 12:36 p.m. Suggest removal

birdiestrachan says...

It is all very sad that people are brave enough to shot and kill in broad daylight. No fear of God or man. They are processed by Satan. Deamons. Sorry for the famalies who have lost their loved ones.

Posted 12 August 2025, 2:15 p.m. Suggest removal

Sickened says...

Correction. The murdering youths are not possessed by Satan - they are protected by Satan and those those around him.

Posted 13 August 2025, 8:52 a.m. Suggest removal

ThisIsOurs says...

I honestly dont know what this does. I get the value of establishing sustained links in the community, but the way they do this it's all a big, one and done show for the cameras

Posted 12 August 2025, 9:45 p.m. Suggest removal

Porcupine says...

Until The Bahamas is able to understand and speak the truth, nothing can change.
Our words are empty, with no relationship to reality.
This is from the very top, where words are only weapons in a court room, to the mother in the corner house.
We do not value the truth, even when it is staring us in the face.

Posted 13 August 2025, 7:14 a.m. Suggest removal

Log in to comment