Wednesday, August 13, 2025
By NEIL HARTNELL
Tribune Business Editor
nhartnell@tribunemedia.net
A US Coast Guard report on the presumed death of an American student who jumped overboard from a pirate-themed tour boat has slammed The Bahamas for purported “lack of co-operation”.
The US investigation into Cameron Robbins’s May 24, 2023, disappearance after he leapt from the Blackbeard’s Revenge vessel during a two-hour night excursion for 370 graduating US and high school students, also criticises safety standards on the boat and The Bahamas’ maritime safety and regulatory regime - threatening a potential diplomatic rift with this nation.
Tony Knowles, head of Pirate’s Revenge Ltd, the vessel operator, yesterday told Tribune Business it was “far from the truth” to suggest that The Bahamas conducted no probe into the events that led to Robbins’ assumed drowning and asserts that the US authorities were kept informed of the investigation’s progress.
However, the US Coast Guard report, dated July 2, 2025, but only publicly disclosed yesterday, asserted that its investigators had been given limited access by Bahamian authorities to witnesses, the scene and the investigation’s progress and findings. Robbins jumped overboard outside Nassau Harbour in the vicinity of Athol Island and swam away never to be seen again.
“Despite repeated US Department of State diplomatic notes, phone calls and correspondence, the Commonwealth of The Bahamas would not officially grant US Coast Guard marine casualty investigators access in The Bahamas to conduct witness interviews, board the Blackbeard’s Revenge, or visit the scene of the accident,” the report asserted.
“Initially, the Government of The Bahamas answered the first diplomatic note with general answers to several questions posed by US Coast Guard investigators. The second diplomatic note requested interviews with captain, crew and vessel owners and there was no response from The Government of The Bahamas to this request.
“Despite verbal assurances via telephone conversations with senior officials in the Royal Bahamas Defence Force, this investigation was unable to gain access to witness transcripts, interview summaries and any other evidence typical for this type of investigation. The lack of co-operation by the Government of The Bahamas hampered this safety investigation,” it added.
“A formal request was made to Pirates Revenge Ltd,, the owners of the vessel, for access to information and interviews. The vessel’s owners told US investigators to access any information from the Bahamian government and provided no information to support this safety investigation.”
The Blackbeard’s Revenge cruise was booked by an international student tours organisation. However, the Bahamian-operated, pirate-themed ship was criticised by the US Coast Guard report, which said there was evidence to suggest the crew was “under-manned” compared to the number of passengers it was carrying.
“The commercial contract... entered into with Pirates Revenge Ltd for the use of the vessel stipulated a captain, first mate, seven deckhands, one disc jockey and three bartenders based on depending on party size,” the report said.
“The vessel safety inspection record and the vessel registration list a different passenger capacity, with the safety inspection record indicating 400 and the vessel registration indicating 475. Neither document lists specific crewing requirements for various passenger loads.
“As an example of the potential for insufficient number of crew, lack of effective training and drills in this emergency, the captain resorted to ask a passenger to take the helm while the Blackbeard’s Revenge was drifting so he could go forward to drop the vessel’s anchor. That passenger recounted she took the helm for approximately ten minutes. Based on the available evidence the vessel’s crew was not sufficient for the number of passengers it carried.”
The US Coast Guard report also asserted that there were “disparities” between the Blackbeard’s Revenge’s safety management system and what existed in practice.
“Based on an examination of the safety inspection record there were no lighted life rings or small boat which would be used to assist in rescuing a person in the water. The response to the man overboard situation listed in the vessel’s SMS contains the use of equipment and a designated diver with snorkel gear that could have improved the response to the emergency,” the report added.
“For this emergency, a man overboard, the SMS procedures did not match the capabilities of the crew and equipment. An SMS has to be designed for the specific and unique operation of the vessel and the vessel’s crew needs to be trained and the procedures routinely exercised to ensure that the responses to any emergency are conducted effectively.
“It is likely that the SMS procedures and equipment listed were simply brought over from the vessel when it was a freight/passenger ferry, the Eleuthera Express.” And the US Coast Guard report also raised concerns over whether the crew provided an adequate safety briefing to their student guests and exercised sufficient control and oversight over the sale of alcoholic drinks on board.
The US investigation made a number of recommendations for reforming, and strengthening, The Bahamas maritime safety and regulatory regime although it conceded that it lacked the jurisdiction or authority to enforce the implementation of several.
But, among those that align with international maritime standards, the report urged The Bahamas to “evaluate the requirement for the safety equipment required to be carried aboard commercial vessels in domestic trade that carry passengers for hire”. This, it added, included equipment for “man overboard” rescues such as life rings with reflective tape and water lights.
“It is recommended that the Commonwealth of The Bahamas create a requirement for drills and training related to safety and lifesaving for commercial passenger vessel operations,” the US Coast Guard report said.
“It is recommended that the Government of the Bahamas ensure that the safety management system of a vessel is specific to a vessel’s unique operation, and the emergency operations are a fit for the vessel in terms of the actual response to emergencies aboard a vessel.” That received a big ‘thumbs up’ from the US Coast Guard’s district seven leader.
Other recommendations backed by the US Coast Guard commandant included that “the Commonwealth of The Bahamas indicate the required crew manning requirements for the carriage of passengers on certificates of registration and certify compliance in the annual safety inspections”.
And that “the Commonwealth of The Bahamas determine commercial vessel passenger loading through the use of stability calculations to ensure vessel safety to include responding to a man overboard”.
As for recommendations specifically related to Bahamian tour and excursion boat operators, the US Coast Guard’s district seven said it did not agree with any of the investigation’s recommendations as there was either insufficient evidence to support them or the US lacked authority and jurisdiction.
However, two were backed by the US Coast Guard commandant: “It is recommended that any company offering tours or excursions to its customers develop written procedures and guidelines for its staff so that there is consistent application of company policies.
“It is recommended that commercial passenger vessel operators develop safety policies and practices to ensure the safety of passengers and crew. This includes the carriage of safety and lifesaving equipment that has been proven to be effective in the recovery of persons overboard.” Tighter alcohol controls were also suggested for Bahamian operators.
Log in to comment