Thursday, August 14, 2025
By JADE RUSSELL
Tribune Staff Reporter
jrussell@tribunemedia.net
THE government says it is unaware of further requests from the US to extradite any other Bahamians concerning last year’s high-profile cocaine-trafficking indictment.
Minister of Foreign Affairs Fred Mitchell and National Security Minister Wayne Munroe yesterday both said they were unaware of any new requests.
It comes amid renewed interest in the case after three high-ranking Bahamians implicated — former Chief Superintendent Elvis Curtis, former Royal Bahamas Defence Force Chief Petty Officer Darrin Roker, and William Simeon — appeared in a New York court this week for a status hearing.
The men are among a number of Bahamians named in the US federal indictment, which stems from a sweeping investigation alleging that, since 2021, traffickers moved tons of cocaine through The Bahamas into the States, aided by corrupt Bahamian government officials.
ZNS reported that the judge adjourned the next conference until next month, when a proposed schedule for motions, hearings, and the trial will be presented.
When asked about the case yesterday, Mr Munroe said the government’s involvement is limited to providing consular support and ensuring fair detention.
“They’re entitled to consular support from the Bahamian consulate, just as Americans in custody here are entitled to consular support,” Mr Munroe told reporters.
Bahamian Theodore Nathaniel Adderley, was initially named in the indictment, but it was later revealed that investigators had mistakenly identified him.
US officials have not yet arrested all the Bahamians named in the federal indictment, some of whom are believed to remain in The Bahamas. Yesterday, Mr Munroe said he was unaware of any extradition requests, noting that such matters are typically handled through the Ministry of Foreign Affairs via the US State Department.
The indictment also alleges the involvement of an unnamed politician. Prime Minister Philip “Brave” Davis sent a diplomatic note last year requesting further details, but it remains unclear whether any information has been received.
Mr Munroe said the matter is not under his purview, but falls under Mr Davis and the Minister of Foreign Affairs.
Speculation surrounding the unnamed political prompted the government to issue a public statement yesterday, condemning WhatsApp messages linking several politicians, including Cabinet ministers, to the case.
The government said these claims are false and have no basis.
Comments
ThisIsOurs says...
"*The indictment also alleges the involvement of an unnamed politician. Prime Minister Philip “Brave” Davis sent a diplomatic note last year requesting further details, but it remains unclear whether any information has been received*".
"***Mr Munroe said the matter is not under his purview**, but falls under Mr Davis and the Minister of Foreign*"
There is an active US indictment that alleges that a high ranking Bahamian politician was involved in the solicitation of a bribe from Colombian drug dealers to facilitate cocaine transshipment through all Bahamian airports and **the National Security Minister says this has nothing to do with me**??? **The PM issued a similar weird statement urging Bahamians to take note that the indictment said the politician solicited a bribe, but didnt say he received it.**
**These statement from two high ranking politicians are extremely weird. Both indicate a massive unwillingness to do anything to uncover one of the greatest national security risks the Bahamas may have faced since Island for Sale**. We have the potential of a powerful politician directing govt officials and resources to facilitate crime in exchange for payment. What else could they be negotiating for payment? Guns? Illegal Haitian inmigration? Sex trafficking? Murder?
Posted 16 August 2025, 2:46 a.m. Suggest removal
Log in to comment