Thursday, March 6, 2025
By JADE RUSSELL
Tribune Staff Reporter
jrussell@tribunemedia.net
OVER 1,600 tickets were issued for uninsured vehicles in New Providence during the first eight months of 2024, according to Minister of Transport and Energy Jobeth Coleby-Davis.
During her contribution to the mid-year budget debate in the House of Assembly yesterday, she also reiterated that the government will amend the Road Traffic Act to remove the “birth month” requirement for auto insurance coverage that was set to take effect soon. She emphasised that this change is necessary to avoid “additional charges” that consumers might face from insurance companies.
Last month, the Davis administration introduced legislation in Parliament amending the Road Traffic Act to eliminate the “birth month” requirement. This marked a significant shift from the government’s previous stance in June 2024, which sought to encourage compliance and reduce the number of uninsured vehicles. The original requirement caused concern among drivers, who were anxious about meeting the deadline for insurance payments.
“To be clear, the government is keen to avoid placing financial hardship on Bahamians while we fight to stop uninsured vehicles from being on our streets,” Mrs Coleby-Davis said during her contribution to the mid-year budget in the House of Assembly.
He said according to the Royal Bahamas Police Force, a significant number of road traffic accidents involve uninsured vehicles.
She said her ministry, the Road Traffic Department, the Insurance Commission of The Bahamas, the Bahamas Insurance Association, and the Traffic Division of the Royal Bahamas Police Force are collaborating to address the issue of uninsured vehicles.
She said road safety must be a key priority for the Road Traffic Department, noting that more than 60 traffic fatalities were recorded last year, with young Bahamians under the age of 45 being the most affected demographic.
On Tuesday, two people were killed in separate traffic accidents, bringing the country’s road traffic fatality count to 12, according to The Tribune’s records. However, Mrs Coleby-Davis later reported that 14 traffic fatalities have been recorded so far this year.
“We’ve installed road safety awareness billboards throughout New Providence and the Family Islands, with more to come,” she said. “We’ve released several video messages on road safety and increased our engagement with schools, especially high schools on road safety.”
She stressed the importance of driving within the speed limit, wearing seatbelts, and not drinking and driving. She added that many drivers are found speeding during school hours.
“Just this week, a driver contacted my ministry to report that a young student on her way to Yellow Elder Primary School was almost hit by a speeding car while on the pedestrian crossing. As drivers, we must do better. Please slow down. I repeat, as drivers, please slow down.”
The Road Traffic Department is also considered a key revenue collection agency for the government. Between July 2024 and January 2025, the department collected over $24m.
Comments
Dawes says...
Lol getting congratulations for stopping something that you were the one who implemented. All this shows is that those writing the law have no idea its implications and when they do they have to change it.
Posted 7 March 2025, 8:39 a.m. Suggest removal
Log in to comment