Green Turtle Cay developer presses ahead despite rejection

By ANNELIA NIXON

Tribune Business Reporter

anixon@tribunemedia.net

THE BUSINESSMAN behind a controversial proposed Green Turtle Cay development is seeking approval in Nassau to move forward with his Gillam Bay project after it was unanimously rejected by both the community and the council.

Green Turtle Cay Chief Councillor Ron Levarity confirmed developer Reginald Curry has sought approval in Nassau following the board’s rejection of the proposed development, which includes nine villas, a clubhouse with a restaurant and bar, administrative offices and support facilities on approximately three acres of Crown Land.

Asked whether Curry had gone to Nassau to seek approval after the council rejected the proposal, Mr Levarity responded: “Yes, ma’am. That’s what he said.”

The development has triggered mounting concern among residents who say Gillam Bay represents one of Green Turtle Cay’s last undeveloped coastal ecosystems.

The community has also forced a group to fight for the protection of Gillam Bay.

“They formed their committee, and they’re trying to do their best to, I guess, dot their I’s and cross their T’s and see how far they can proceed with this. But I haven’t heard anything yet,” Mr Levarity said.

The Save Gillam Bay Collective now has 3,389 verified signatures on its online petition. A representative said the group has also collected close to 200 handwritten signatures from residents on Green Turtle Cay.

“We have I think close to 200 handwritten signatures from residents here on the island. I think there were maybe 10 that were non-Bahamian,” Save Gillam Bay said.


The campaign is calling on the Government to halt construction until all legal and regulatory requirements have been satisfied, release the project’s environmental documentation, and conduct an independent review of how the development was approved. It is also urging authorities to consider protecting the remaining undeveloped portion of Gillam Bay through the Bahamas National Trust.

The Save Gillam Bay campaign describes the site as home to mangroves, wetlands, bonefish habitats, marine life and migratory birds, while also serving as a natural buffer against storms and erosion.

The group argues that development of the site could permanently alter one of Green Turtle Cay’s few remaining undeveloped beaches and affect the island’s environmental character and tourism appeal.

Its petition states that the broader community only became aware of the full scope of the proposed development during a July 16 town meeting.

The group has also raised concerns over the project’s location on shifting sand accretion, arguing that the characteristics of the site warrant additional scrutiny regarding long-term stability, storm resilience and potential impacts on the surrounding coastline.

However, the developer has already obtained a Certificate of Environmental Clearance (CEC), with the Department of Environmental Planning and Protection (DEPP) previously maintaining that the project complied with applicable legal and environmental requirements.

DEPP officials have also said a full Environmental Impact Assessment and public consultation were not required because the proposal did not meet the statutory threshold. Any future marina, dock or marine works would require a separate application and environmental review.

The Save Gillam Bay group is nevertheless demanding that the CEC and supporting environmental documentation be made publicly available.

The group said the CEC was displayed during the July 16 town meeting but argues residents should not have to rely on a brief viewing at a public meeting to understand the environmental approvals granted for a major development in their community.

The campaign is also seeking an independent review of the environmental approval process and consultation with independent scientists and conservation organisations on the potential effects on wetlands, mangroves, groundwater, marine habitats, fisheries, wildlife and coastal resilience.

The dispute comes as residents consider possible legal avenues to challenge the project and central government approval.

In the group’s GoFundMe campaign, it says funds are being raised to support legal representation, independent environmental and scientific reviews, travel and advocacy, and public awareness efforts.

The campaign had raised $12,076 toward its $13,000 goal.

The group said it believes the issue extends beyond opposition to one development, arguing that the decision could establish a precedent for how environmentally sensitive Crown land is handled in the future.

“We recognise the importance of investment and economic opportunity in The Bahamas,” the group states. “But development should never come at the expense of transparency, local consideration, and our environment.”

The petition also calls for enforceable commitments from the developer to minimise environmental disturbance and preserve public beach access in accordance with Bahamian law.

The local government’s unanimous rejection has now placed the focus on Nassau and whether central government authorities will allow the project to proceed despite the position taken by Green Turtle Cay’s elected local representatives. For opponents, the issue is ultimately about whether Gillam Bay should remain undeveloped.

“Once a coastal ecosystem like Gillam Bay is destroyed, it will be lost forever,” the Save Gillam Bay campaign said in its fundraising appeal.

The group is now urging Bahamians to support its efforts to have the area protected, while Curry’s reported move to Nassau places the next stage of the development dispute firmly at the national level.

Mr Reginald Curry did not respond to Tribune Business’ message and calls up to press time.

Log in to comment