Monday, July 13, 2026
By FAY SIMMONS
Tribune Business Reporter
jsimmons@tribunemedia.net
The investigation into Friday's fatal North Andros plane crash has entered its evidence-gathering phase, with investigators examining the aircraft, its maintenance history, flight operations, weather conditions and air traffic services as Flamingo Air's operating certificate remains temporarily suspended.
The Aircraft Accident Investigation Authority (AAIA) said investigators moved quickly after the crash involving the Cessna 402 aircraft, registration C6-FLX, securing and documenting the accident site, preserving evidence and beginning the collection of operational and technical information in accordance with international civil aviation standards.
The Authority said the investigation remains in its preliminary stage and no determination has been made regarding the cause or contributing factors.
"Investigators will continue to gather and analyse factual information relating to all aspects of the occurrence, including the aircraft, flight operations, maintenance, meteorological information, air traffic services and any other relevant evidence," the AAIA said.
It added that countries entitled to participate under International Civil Aviation Organisation (ICAO) Annex 13 have been notified and may appoint accredited representatives to assist the investigation. Kendall Dorsett Jr, the AAIA's chief investigator, has been appointed investigator-in-charge.
The Authority cautioned against speculation, stressing that the purpose of an aircraft accident investigation is to prevent future accidents rather than apportion blame or determine liability.
"The investigation remains in its preliminary stage," the AAIA said. "Any information currently available is preliminary and subject to change as additional evidence is obtained and analysed."
The Ministry of Energy, Utilities and Aviation, meanwhile, confirmed that the Civil Aviation Authority Bahamas (CAAB) temporarily suspended Flamingo Air's Air Operator Certificate (AOC) on Friday following what it described as two safety incidents involving the carrier.
The ministry said the suspension is a precautionary safety measure and "should not be treated as an adverse compliance action" against Flamingo Air.
Speaking during Friday’s Office of the Prime Minister media briefing, Jobeth Coleby-Davis, minister of energy, utilities and aviation, disclosed that aviation officials had earlier been notified of another incident involving a Flamingo Air aircraft before the North Andros crash.
"Early this morning we were notified by the investigators of CAAB that there was a first incident that happened with a Flamingo Air flight," she said.
"Once they landed, they were on their way to Mayaguana. The pilot had some concerns, turned around and landed back in Nassau, and once everyone was off-boarded from the plane there was a fire involving that aircraft. We did have a response to that incident, but there was no loss of life."
Asked whether it was standard protocol for an airline to be suspended following a fatal accident, Mrs Coleby-Davis replied: "There have been other incidents, and so the CAAB officials would be the ones that act in those circumstances, and that is the protocol that they took today."
Flamingo Air, in a statement, confirmed that one of its aircraft was involved in the North Andros accident and said it is co-operating fully with the relevant authorities as the investigation continues.
The Ministry of Transport also said the AAIA is leading the investigation in accordance with international civil aviation standards and that no further comment will be made while the probe remains active.
Log in to comment